This is a place where I share my art and thoughts of the day!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I finished my quiltie for Judy Ross!




Her theme was chickens! I decided to do a farm scene, and found these really fun buttons to go along with it all. The tractor was a neat afterthought find! I can't seem to find my embroidary bible which is an excellent book showing a lot of awesome embroidary stitches. Oh where oh where could it be? So I had to wing it on my flowers.
My dh had to have an endo exam so I took my stuff there to put it all together. Just so happens I was sitting across from a quilter gal! She gave me some neat tips. Like I told her I was gonna paint a fence and she said make it thick enough to sew around the edges so it appears very quiltery, so I did! I love how it came out so I did the cobble stones the same way with free motion sewing all around. This piece ios only 6x8" 's so you can imagine how small the cobble stones are and it was even a challenge for me. I am getting pretty good at free motion sewing though! Pretty good!
I also quilted around some of the clouds to give them a puffy look too. It's better in hand! But I am kind of proud of it, being my first one. It was the other ladies idea to put the rooster on the fence post, after I told her I was painting the fence. I was gonna put him on a roof top or something. She also told me to put the tracktor in the background to give the appearance of porportionality! Funny drawing I know to think of all that but fabric takes a little bit more prethought because buttons are designed by other people.
I found this other neat fabric for the back and then printed my info to her! Sent this out yesterday!
What Judy had to say when she saw the scan:
"Sanna, is that ever an environment that a chicken would be happy to be in,and the sun looks like what we are getting nowadays in the pacific northwest where it hasn't rained for four weeks...a big sun is kind of an anomaly to me, but right now, I really recognize how big it can be. I can't even imagine what you've done on the edges, so i look forward to seeing it in reality to see all its many interesting parts. Excellent! thanks a lot. Judy
What Judy had to say after she finally got a chance to be home and see the quiltie in hand.:
Sanna, here I am back in Washington and in possession of your 'on the farm' quilty. It is really very charming, very fun, very nice. Good work! You asked me to look at it and suggest what you might have done better, but i think it is really just right the way it is. With respect to going forward, your painted parts with outline stitching, really stand out (in a good way), and so I would suggest you look to see how you can do more of that. Also, your use of the exposed selvedge looking like grassy edges if terrific. good eye for how to use fabric in its essential quality to convey texture! Thanks so much. It is a great beginning for my chicken book. Judy

No comments:

Blog Archive