This is a place where I share my art and thoughts of the day!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

I finished a piece I am very happy with!

Leave a comment and get a chance at winning the sketch I used to make this painting. Below is the ATC you could win! Please leave critisism or comment.






I will be drawing a lucky winner for the atc on the 4th of July!

My latest piece is abstract but to me a moving work as your eyes go around in a circle. I would however appreciate critisism and comments. So much so that I am having a blog giveaway. I will give the winner at random the sketched out ATC I did as a preliminary to this painting. Some day it could be valuable. I intend on doing a few shows soon.
Ok about this painting: I call it "Swimming in the Gulf", it's all abut my perspective of the oil explosion and thereafter sufferings of the earth. So here you'll see me... the girl with the giant jugs and long legs and beautiful blond hair(LOL,IF ONLY)but with a sad face. Inside her arms is the ever errupting oil well, around her is all the devastation she has caused and now sees for building something she could not controll(MAn could not).The three fish are swimming upside down and frowning, The baby seal(who was made cute on purpose) as I used to work for Green Peace and whenever we went around from door to door there was this one picture of a baby seal we would show people to get them to donate... thus the cute dipiction, I wanted to grab your hearts. The Pelican too is covered in oil, misserable and dieing just as we all have been seeing on television.
Everytime I see the sea creatures dieing and covered in this oily suffocating death trap I feel the deapths of sadness. It moved me to a new awareness while painting this piece.
I went to the Boston Museum of fine arts and saw some Picassos" and some of Matisses' work very abstract and beautiful. I also saw a depiction of Nepoleon touching the people who were fighting for him. They were dieing from the black plague and other affirmaties and war wounds. He touched them as if he was concerned like he was their savoir ,then walked away and had them all poisoned to death. He was unable and unwilling to heal them due to their critical medical needs and the weight the war placed on him and the province.
My husband asked me what the focal point of this piece was and I jokingly said: "her giant ass"! He said: "Really because it is...", I said: "Yes as we so fat sit in our houses unaffected by this terrible atrosity."
Soon enough it will however effect our childrens children and even people of our own generation will be without the fish and a living. For now though it's the sea and all the living creatures that are suffering as BP tries to pay people off.

23 comments:

Otter Blue said...

This is a very powerful piece Sanna. I really like it a lot! Marnie

BK said...

Sanna...I love your art...don't know why...but I just do!

Tolegranny said...

That pictures says alot. Something moving about it. Awesome

Donn said...

Very interesting,Sanna. I usually don't care for abstract or zens, but these are different. Love the large one you did too.

Bell Book and Candle Mixed Media Artist said...

Okay Sanna this is very cool!! You did a spectacular job on it...I would change a thing. I am glad it has a meaning. It looks like it was a lot of work, but well worth it. You never fail to amaze me with your talent..

joey said...

Sanna banana, you did it again ! Awesome. Big hugs, joey

Focus_ret said...

I like the colors on the big painting MUCH better than those on the sketch. Nice.

Linda Wareham said...

Gorgeous art Sanna, your work is amazing. I like that you explained your reasons for what you did, it made me go back and look at the piece again, and again!
Lyn

singtatter said...

I like the colors on the big painting too - more vibrant. It's amazing to see a small and big version together.

Peggy B said...

I am a fan of abstract art but not with living creatures or people in them. I prefer geometric abstact art like Kandinsky. But like Linda said..I am glad you added your feelings for your inspiration, it made me take a second look too. It is a very colorful piece!! And I like colorful things!!!!

Jackie B said...

All I can say is wow, Sanna. I'm not very good with abstract art but after reading your descriptions and looking back over the piece, I'm so impressed by you showing all that is happening. The colors are amazing and work well together. I even like the yellow orange sketch. Just my two cents worth.

janene said...

Sanna, this is a very special piece. I looked at it three times before I saw your head, so I guess the big bottom really is the focal point. My eyes moved around the piece a lot to take it all in. I'm glad you explained your thought process and what it means to you. I can see it too. There is one thing that disturbs me with the piece - and that is the animal face at the bottom. My eyes kept going there first. And because it is borderline "cutesy" - it seemed incongruous. I'd like to know your reason for putting it there and why you used that style rather than more abstract? With that one exception - I am crazy about the new work. I appreciate artists who have something to say in their work and not just go for "pretty". Good job. Janene

joyuslion said...

wow... you are so talented!!!!!

Mar said...

Hello Sanna. This piece is quite spectacular and you did an amazing job incorporating all your emotions and thoughts into the piece. I am in awe how you could manage to use such bright and lively colours for an issue that is clearing devistating. It speaks to me that even though it is devistating, there is still hope. I have never been one to believe in art critics who pick apart every aspect of a person's work. I believe that each and every person has an artistic soul and having the courage to express that through brush strokes and colour should be applauded. This is a beautiful piece that involves a current issue everyone can relate with at this time, and you should be very proud! Keep up the great work! Create art! Mar

Anonymous said...

Sanna,

I love this piece! Loved it when it was on the right side. You always have such wonderful statement pieces.

Mary Wilkins
marymarg27608@yahoo.com

janene said...

I went back and reread the description and now I understand your use of the cutesy seal face. Very touching. And interesting. I think it will grab the attention of viewers. Way to go, Sanna

Dawn said...

Sanna you know what Picasso and Matisse would have been PROUD to call one of these pieces their own, your depiction is absolutely brilliant... and I am with you on how extremely sad and angry it makes me feel and how man can do this is beyond me!

carylsrealm said...

Love your painting Sanna. The gulf is SO sad! I can't stand the hear the news. It makes me SO angry! They need to do something NOW! Very powerful piece!

Artifice said...

Sanna,

Incredible painting! I love it! You did such an awesome job working in Piccaso's style, making it your own & conveying your feelings on such a catastrophic event as the oil spill. Congratulations!

Linda Greiss from LatestTrends

quiltcrazygaljennalouise said...

Hi Sanna friend! I'm still around:) I LOVE your work and this is so fabulous and so meaningful. I feel blessed to have you as a "cyber" friend:) I admire your talent. I hope you are doing well have a happy 4th!

gale said...

Sanna..Your abstract is so exciting!
I love all the shapes that come together to make the whole story. Abstracts are one of my favorites lrt forms because they titalate the mind. Thanks!
Gale

Neet said...

I love this - it says a lot and the colours are wonderful. Can't see where to join as a follower?

Raeven said...

Holy Moly Sanna!
Your work always amazes me but this piece is just WOW!!!
A person can see how much work and love you put into your art.

Blog Archive